The Man I Never Met by Elle Cook is a slow burn, complicated romance. I settled in to read what I thought was going to be an easy-going romcom to escape reality for a bit, but I shortly found myself in very unexpected territory.
The author, Elle Cook, tackles a hard, emotional subject with care and respect, and even though the story wasn't what I'd anticipated, I found myself glad my initial expectations weren't met. A love interest with a serious illness isn't exactly the usual romcom material, and, to be honest, isn't a subject I'd intentionally have chosen to read, but I'm very glad I was surprised by the turn The Man I Never Met took. I hope to read more stories like this.
I did find the pacing a little too slow for my liking, and I would have preferred that Hannah's character had a bit more backbone. Other than that, I found it well written, surprising, and a book that handles a scary subject with respect.
Thanks to NetGalley, Elle Cook, and Random House for providing this ARC for me to review.

No comments:
Post a Comment