Darling, by India Knight, is a retelling of Nancy Mitford's Pursuit of Love. I wanted to like this book more than I did, because I felt it had the potential to captivate, but it just wasn't for me. While the characters were wonderfully crafted with strong voices, it felt choppy and I never could comfortably settle into reading it. I'd read a chapter, then wander off to do something, come back and read another, then wander off again.
I think it was wonderfully written and full of entertaining characters, so I did enjoy that part of it. The story itself did not hold my attention at all, and I almost DNFed it, but since it was short, I was able to finish it in a day. To be fair, most reviewers were thrilled with it and sang its praises, so give it a try and see what you think.
Thanks to NetGalley, India Knight, and Penguin for providing the ARC for my review.

No comments:
Post a Comment