Tuesday, 10 November 2020

The Duke and I


Welp, I figured I'd do some re-reading in anticipation of the Bridgerton series coming up on Netflix on Dec. 25. I decided to do audiobooks since a lot of the series is available in that format on Scribd, so I started off happily with the first book in the series, The Duke and I (paperback £8.99, Kindle £2.99). Everything was going along quite well until the first appearance of Simon. The voice. Oh, my God, the voice. I never knew a voice could make me hate a character so goddamned much. Now, I'll admit, I'm a picky one when it comes to narrators and I've been known to pull the plug on audiobooks within seconds because the voice irritated me, but this...this was a whole new level. I loved the other character's voices, I knew I loved the story, and I was determined not to give up, so I finished listening to the book, even though I couldn't stand to spend more than a half hour at a time listening. I have never been so glad to finish an audiobook in my life. I have given up on my idea to read through the series before watching the show. It seems like it would be a chore now instead of a fun thing to do. I refuse to buy the books when there are free audiobooks available, and the others are read by the same narrator, so I know there will be more godawful male voices awaiting me. I guess I'll just enjoy the Netflix series come Christmas Day, and later, when the memory of the awful voice has faded, I'll attempt the whole series in book form. What with all the moves I've made in my life and the thousands (literally) of books I've had to sacrifice to the moving gods, replacing ones previously purchased and read is not my favorite thing to do, but I'll just take it one at a time. 

Why do I always type out The DUCK and I instead of The Duke and I? Are there any anthropomorphic historical romances? Wouldn't that be fun? I'd deffo read them. 

As for now, I've started an anthology of cozy Christmas mysteries. I've decided to limit myself to reading one book at a time again, and it seems to be working out better for me. I never used to read more until a couple of years ago, when, for some unknown reason, I suddenly started having up to four or more going at once. It worked for a while, but then I started missing the simplicity of having one book to devote my attention to. The anthology is helping me ease back into the habit since it's giving me such a variety in one book. Novellas are perfect for Christmas reading, because I want to cram in as many stories as possible in a short time.

Also, Biden and Harris. I voted for them, I love them, I'm looking forward to having a sense safety and comfort that have eluded me for four years. If you're a Trump supporter, fuck right off.

No comments:

Post a Comment