Monday, 2 November 2020

Well, that was quick...


It's been a weekend of lashing rain, strong winds, and fireworks upsetting the cats. I haven't felt the best and with all the crap going on in the world today, I thought last night would be a great night to crawl into a bed with clean sheets, a thick duvet, and a crocheted blanket to snuggle down with my first Christmas book of the year. It was ridiculously early, too. I was in homebody, hygge heaven. The Christmas Bake Off  (free) by Abby Clements was calling to me. 

I warmed to the characters immediately, nice folks, cozy homes and shops, all that. I was a bit surprised that there were so many characters revealed in the first couple of pages, and I wondered how I'd ever keep them all straight without having to refer back (I do have a problem with that unless characters are introduced slowly), but it turned out not to be much of a problem. It's set in a typical little village scenario, the kind of idea I love, but would be miserable to actually live in. I don't want anybody up in my business, and I don't want to know everybody else's. 

So, pleased with my choice, I settled in for an hour or two of reading before I put head to pillow. But, alas, it was not to be. Twenty-six pages later, the book was done! I had no idea that I'd chosen a short story. I also have to admit that I added this book to my Kindle in 2012 and was just now reading it, so that's the state of my TBR Kindle books. 

So, what does a book junkie do when the Christmas fiction bug bites? They stockpile, so that's what I spent the next hour doing...adding Christmas books of every sort to my Kindle, mostly Kindle Unlimited, but some I paid for. Christmas books of all kinds, general fiction, romance, cozy mysteries of the bakery and bookshop types, and even a few Halloween/Christmas witchy mash-ups. I am now ready to binge on them until the end of the year. 

So, all ended well. I read a sweet, heartwarming Christmas short story, and then got to do one of the things I love most, purchase books. 

As I sit here now, early the next morning, rain has started splashing down again, and I'm just getting ready to choose which book to read next. It's a toss up between the third in the Bromance series or one about human brains. Whichever it is, it's the perfect morning for coffee (well, chicory and barley "coffee" for me because...ulcer), a snuggly crocheted afghan, a cuddly cat, and a book, so I can't go wrong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment